What Does it Mean to Poke Someone on Facebook

Well, connecting with people you have lost touch with or finding friends on Facebook notwithstanding, these questions come to my mind as well about a few other Facebook applications. Why are we so used to it? The moment we reach home after a long day, we still want to be on Facebook and other umpteen social networking sites. Nevertheless, I was surfing the internet and I came across this question: "what does it mean to poke someone on Facebook?". That got me thinking, at the same moment I got a notification that someone has poked me. Poking someone on Facebook, what can it possibly mean? Here is what I thought of! 

What it Means to Poke Someone 

This is almost a no-brainer. I am describing this, considering the fact that those reading this have either poked someone or have been poked by someone and know how to poke someone! So what does it signify? Okay, it is not complicated as something like the Geo political strategy of India or Israel or USA! Of course it has varied interpretations, but it is all a part of connecting people, eh?

Coming back to poking though, think of what we do and what happens when we actually poke someone. That person pays attention to you and you start of a conversation. Of course, normally, you would not poke a stranger. You can therefore get that person's attention and start speaking to him or her. Poking on Facebook fulfills the same purpose, basically, though it does virtually. It simply means the other person know you are thinking about him or her or want to say 'hi' or 'hello', sans writing it on his or her wall.

Now, if you go a bit deeper, I have observed that poking can be the inception of flirting. But then, this flirting thing is a bit tricky. If that is mutual, a poke can even have a sexual connotation or a tinge to it. Or if you want to tell your friend that you are still alive and breathing and want to catch up, simply poke him or her! In other ways, poking may also be a way to tell someone that hey, I have mailed you, just check that out!

All in all, what poking on Facebook means can range from a simple 'hey, how ya doin buddy?' to 'let's hook up and have some fun'. Or it can even be a part of the poking war amongst friends to see who pokes most and gets the most number of pokes! It therefore completely depends on the people involved in poking as to what it means.

But then you might think did I check out what happens when you poke someone? Well, to give you a good news, I did! What I found was this. I am sure you all too must have noticed it. The first thing which happens if you obviously get a Facebook notification! It shows on yours and other user's wall. Oh and others will not know if you poked or have been poked. You can either poke back or ignore.

I think the interpretations above are pretty much justified! Poking someone on Facebook at the end of the day does not have a single interpretation in particular! It is just a fun application and should be just that! But by the way, whom are you going to poke tonight?! I log off here!